Sunday 1 July 2007

Crow's Revenge

Thank you very much Cecilia and Suzanne for your encouraging comments on Crow. I do have some negative criticism to report though.The other day I found a relation of my late glossy friend busy stripping the rubber from my car's wipers. When I protested about this gratuitous vandalism his response was to empty his bowels all over the bonnet. I take this to be a warning against writing anything more about crows, living or dead.

Suzanne, I've been thinking about your beautiful and profound "Bride Discards her Veil" and I wonder if there may not be two (or more?) poems entwined within it, maybe one on the frustration of blocked inspiration and another on the complexities of Self. Personally, if we have time at our next meeting I'd love to hear you read it again, and to talk about it some more. I have had a go at restructuring and pruning the poem myself but I fear that I may have butchered it in the process. ( That's generally what happens when I prune something!) Anyway, I'll bring my draft along for you to read on Wednesday - hopefully it will be of some help.

Sandra, I thought that your poem about mother and daughter summed up that touching yet sad relationship very aptly, especially the last few lines.

Did anyone else hear the beautiful performance of Mahler's Song of the Earth on ABC FM this morning? (Chinese poems translated into German and then set to music by Mahler.)

No comments: