Friday 24 April 2009

Greetings from the 45th parallel--NORTH


G'day Mates!

I miss our group!!! I haven't been writing much poetry, have been focusing more on creative non-fiction, because I was in a class. Also, I think it's easier! Here's one I did write not too long ago. This was also a result of a workshop. The facilitator suggested we take poems on two subjects that we'd been working on that perhaps we were having trouble with. Then see how you could interweave them to make something new. You might want to try this.

Builder’s Error

It was meant to be intimate--
a cozy deck for a tete a tete,
a resting place for humble, bare feet,
but it juts out prominant as a ship’s prow.

My sister calls, says, It is not a tragedy.
Only five of the lymph nodes hosted cancer cells,
dirty squatters we had hoped would be evicted
with the removal of her breast.

The deck dominates the yard,
flaunts its hubris as if to challenge
the wind.

Flatten yourself against the earth;
try to become unnoticeable.

I wake at 2 filled with anxiety.
It’s not a tragedy. It can be fixed.
It will just take longer and cost
much, much more.


Anyway, my sister is doing well, coming for a visit this weekend with another sister. She's finished w/chemo, has some hair and things look good!

Hope you are all well. Please plass on my thanks to Dave for recent comments on my blog--I don't have his email address. And Tricia and Annetine, it's nice to hear from you! And, Cecilia--we're overdue for a phonecall!

Great to see that most of you are now authors on the blog--but WHERE ARE YOU! No posts since Feb??? Tsk, tsk. I'm sure you are busy writing. :-)

Cheers,

Karen

PS Car is our new toy, a 2007 Pontiac Solstice. Appropriate colour, don't you think?

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Karen, great to read your post. I really like the poem. Interesting concept, the combination of two pieces and it works really well here. The title Builder's Error works so well for both subjects. I hope you submit it somewhere.
Am off to Cecilia's this afternoon for a group practise with saxaphone of our train poems for the Bayside Literary Festival. Have printed out your post to share with those who still struggle with the blog, also feel this sense that by taking your post you will be part of our gathering.
Loved the last post on Lake Effects, put a comment then when I tried to correct a spelling mistake I deleted the comment. Am still a bit of a doofus with computer stuff but will re-comment tomorrow.
Better hustle my bustle or I will be late at C's
Take care
TRicia